Let us be completely honest for a moment. Women are under-represented in the technology sector. The representation of females in the technology sector still has a long way to go before women are no longer considered the minority in tech… but we are here to change that.
However we, girls, need your aid and support to succeed and make history by proudly holding the title of being the only girls team to fly a drone in the United Arab Emirates for the first time.
We need to make much-needed changes to our world by making it a better environment for us and our loved ones. As we know technology is developing over the years and we are moving towards an increasingly digital, interconnected society, and with it comes the realization that everything we know will change. Buildings are developing and becoming more advanced as every year passes, and our job and responsibility is to ensure that building fires don’t occur as often as they do currently. If building fires are reduced, many lives would be saved.
Most building fires are due to gas leaks and failure of electric appliances. When such incidents happen the residents panic at the source and intensity of the fire/gas leak. This prevents the Fire Department and Police from deploying the needed resources quickly and efficiently. This delay can lead to huge losses of lives and property. Our drone is designed to solve this problem.
Our drone will be able to detect the fire and its intensity in the building. Once the fire is detected, it will send a signal to the fire department, alerting them of the situation. When there is a fire distinguished in any building, our drone can also locate any presence of deadly carbon monoxide in the air. This is important because carbon monoxide is not visible and does not have a distinctive smell. Therefore, it is very important to notice the possibility of the presence of Carbon Monoxide.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that can cause tissue damage, poisoning, and death. Carbon-monoxide is not easily detected by humans but still has detrimental effects and for this reason, it is referred to as the “silent killer”. It is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and non-irritating. On that account, we have designed a drone to detect CO and send signals to the fire department to ensure that all residents are evacuated.
Our drone will be instantly deployed so it can measure the intensity of Carbon-Monoxide present, using a CO sensor, and send signals to the fire department alerting them before the fire gets too large. This decreases the amount of toxic and harmful gases that are released in a large fire.
The novelty in our project is that our drone is aerodynamic so when it flies, it will be able to fly and hover in the air very smoothly. Our drone will be enclosed in a flying saucer structure that looks like a UFO! The drone will be covered and the propellers of our drone will be enclosed so if the propellers hit any object, they will not break. When our drone is covered, the smoke of the fire won’t be able to destroy the drone or any of the components of the drone. One problem with enclosed propellers is that once the drone is covered, there will be no airflow inside, and all the components and can cause the drone to heat up. However, we have found a solution to this problem. Our drone’s body will have holes in it so air can flow inside and outside, keeping the components of the drone cool and preventing the drone from overheating
Drone specification and components –
- Our drone will be using a PETG frame which has a wheelbase of 210mm.
- The weight of the drone will be 700 grams which include 500 grams for the drone and 200 grams for the batteries used in the drone.
- Our drone will be using a RS2205 Brushless DC Motor which provides 85-90% efficiency and is more powerful compared to brushed motors.
- SimonK Brushless Electronic Speed Controller (ESC).
- Our drone will be using FlySky Transmitter which enables the user to control the aircraft from a distance. we will also use the Kk 2.1.5 flight controller which comes with many sensors that can give accurate information about any situation.
- We will also be using 5-inch propellers, Lithium Polymer (LiPo) Battery 2200Mah, a 100A Multirotor ESC Power Distribution Battery Board and a Xt-60 power supplier for our drone.
- We are using the MQ-9 Carbon Monoxide, Methane, and LPG Gas Sensor Module, CO detectors are designed to measure CO gas levels in the air over time and sound an alarm before dangerous levels of CO accumulate in an environment, giving people the chance to safely ventilate the area or evacuate so they do not fall victim to CO poisoning.
- Our drone will also use IR Flame Sensor for Arduino Fire Detector Sensor which is a fire sensor and will be used to detect fires.
With needed help from you, we are looking to raise 50% of money through the crowd funding program which is around 5500 AED to cover up our drone cost, and the rest will be paid by us with help from our relatives, teachers, and friends. We have designed this drone because we aim to decrease the death rate of people during building fires and the leakage of CO. Decreasing the number of death rates help a country develop in terms of population and economy, so fewer death rates result in more people visiting and staying in that country for tourism or other reasons which will in turn help with population growth. Population growth does not necessarily spell more trouble but instead could potentially increase the economy of the country. Our drone can help not only to reduce and potentially stop fire and gas leaks in buildings but also save thousands of lives. So, please help us raise money through this crowd funding program so we girls can succeed, spread our message and make history. Through your help, we will be able to inspire and motivate not just boys but girls around the world 🙂
We hope you’re interested in our idea and would consider aiding and supporting us in this project by making a dream become a reality
Remember, we are the Diva Drones and we fly to find a fire and inspire!!
– Nada, Zonaira, Juliana
Al Basma British School